Salvi’s Ana and Lyon & Healy’s Prelude have always been popular choices among harpists. Let’s explore the reasons behind their popularity and provide some insights for those who are currently choosing a harp.
- Ana and Prelude have a classic appearance with carefully crafted designs and beautifully painted soundboxes.
- The harp body is tall with perfectly proportioned parts.
- The soundbox is larger than those of typical Lever Harps, which enhances its melodious resonance.
- They are made from the same high-quality wood as Pedal Harps, and their craftsmanship rivals that of Pedal Harps.
- If Pedal Strings are chosen, the string tension and spacing are the same as those of Pedal Harps.
- They have 40 strings, ranging from 1st Oct. E to 6th Oct. A, which allows for playing all Lever Harp music and exam pieces.
- They do not take up much space and are easy to maintain.
- They are attractively priced, being priced at 30% to 40% of the cost of entry-level Salvi and Lyon & Healy Pedal Harps.
Next, let’s take a look at the differences between Salvi’s Ana and Lyon & Healy’s Prelude:
- Height: 63″ (160 cm)
- Width: 31 1/2″ (80 cm)
- Weight: 44 lbs, 20 kg
- Soundbox Width: 15″, 38 cm
- String Type: Lever Strings / Pedal Strings (two versions available)
- Number of Strings and Range: 40 strings, 1st Oct. E to 6th Oct. A
- Wood:Fiemme Valley red spruce
- Made in Italy
Lyon & Healy Prelude
- Height: 64″ (163 cm)
- Width: 33 1/4″ (85 cm)
- Weight: 44 lbs, 19.9 kg
- Soundbox Width: 14 7/8″, 38 cm
- String Type: Pedal Strings Number of Strings and Range: 40 strings, 1st Oct. E to 6th Oct. A
- Wood: Sitka Spruce from the Pacific Northwest/Western North America
- Prelude comes with a scalloped bronze crown ornament and claw-shaped feet.
In terms of sound, Salvi’s Ana has a brighter and livelier tone, while Prelude has a thicker and more resonant tone. However, other perceptions of sound are subjective and difficult to describe in words. We encourage you to personally try and select a harp, and feel free to inquire with us for more information. Welcome to the world of harp playing!