Starting to learn the harp is an exciting journey, but it can also be confusing when it comes to buying the right equipment. Here is a list of essential items you’ll need to get started:
- Harp: This may seem obvious, but you’ll need to buy or rent a harp to practice on. You also can book our practice room. There are different types of harps to choose from, such as lever harps and pedal harps, so do your research to find the one that suits your needs and budget.
- Music Stand: A music stand is necessary to hold your sheet music or tablet while you play the harp. The music stand’s base needs to be stable. If it is too lightweight, it is easy to tip over. Ideally, it would be perfect that the edges be wrapped in soft strips to reduce the likelihood of scratching the harp if it accidentally falls over and collides with it.
- Harp Tuning Key and Tuner: A harp tuner is essential to keep your harp in tune. Tuning Key is included with Salvi and Lyon & Healy harp. There are electronic tuners or tuning apps (paid / free) available. There is a guide for tuning Lever harp https://www.hkharpcentre.com/how-to-tune-my-lever-harp/
- Harp Strings: Harp strings need to be replaced when they break, and it’s important to buy the right type and gauge for your harp. We are always ready to assist you in selecting the right strings for your harp. We offer high-quality Bow Brand strings for your Salvi, Lyon & Healy harp.
- Harp music: To practice and improve your skills, you need harp music books. In our Harp Centre, you can find a lot of music pieces from the beginning level to advanced, from classical to pop songs. You can search them in our online shop as well. https://hkharpshop.com/shop/?wpf=test&wpf_page=1&wpf_cat=books
- Metronome: A metronome is a helpful tool for practicing rhythm and timing. You can purchase a physical metronome or use a paid / free metronome app.
- Beach: A bench is an essential piece of furniture for playing the harp, as it provides support and stability during long hours of practice or performance. An adjustable-height bench is preferable. Different types of harps have varying heights, and an adjustable bench can greatly improve flexibility by allowing the player to adjust the height as needed. This also speaks to the bench’s durability and longevity, as it can be used with different types of harps over time.
Starting to learn the harp can be a significant investment, but with these essential items, you’ll have everything you need to get started. Happy harping!